Style Sessions | Plaid with Kilee

Oct 30, 2013

Hey Life in Mod readers, I'm Kilee from ONE little MOMMA. I’m excited to be visiting  and hanging with Cam's great style. Over at OLM I blog about style- (especially momma style), easy DIY projects and my family. I love trends and like to think that keeping up with the best of them is my thang. A trend this Fall, which I was rocking back in junior high, is the plaid skirt. When I told my husband I was going to be styling plaid in a few ways he said, "You mean like Grandma, Great Grandma..." Ha ha ha. Yes- these skirts may have actually come from someone's grandma, but they can be styled to be fresh and current for today. 



Top: Old Navy
Skirt: Thrifted
Shoes: Old Navy

The best place to find a great plaid skirt right now honestly is your local Goodwill or Savers. The past generation has thrown them out and into our welcoming arms. I fell in love this this navy, burnt orange, and gray pleated midi skirt for only $5. It is made out of wool which is the perfect texture for Fall outfits. To style this skirt I added coordinating ankle boots and a light sweater in an almost matching color. Plaid is great because it usually has a few colors to pull from when you pick your sweater or your bag. I went with a simple top because the bottom is pretty busy and the ankle boots add a bit of a modern edge to the look.



Top: J Crew
Skirt: Thrifted
Shoes: Madewell
Bag: White Plum Boutique

Another way to style plaid is to pair it with your basic chambray shirt and coordinating color pop ballet flats. I left my shirt loosely tucked to keep from looking too buttoned up. A chambray shirt can really pair with any color plaid that you find. This plaid skirt had great colors to pull from and I pulled the bag color and shoe color from it. 

A few other ways to style a plaid skirt might be pairing a basic striped tee in coordinating, but not necessarily matching colors for some pattern mixing. Nude heels and a white oxford would look fantastic as well with most skirts. 

Thanks for having me! I hope you'll stop over to ONE little MOMMA to read about styling plaid flannel,  thrifting tips, and making your own denim vest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some sugarrrr, shugaaa.

Follow me on Instagram too! @lifeinmod

Pin It button on image hover